Thursday, July 12, 2007

Investment Update

OK, due to the requests of my vast readership, I am recommitting to posting quality opinion, analysis, and bullshit. I have been busy of late, mostly concentrating on work, military duties, and investing. Based on that, I shall take this time to give you an update on my opinion of the economy and investing.

Outlook: Wow, a lot of things are turning around. We are seemingly in a bit of a Bull Market. I am a little more in cash than I wish (about 25%), mostly because I have taken some profit and was a little slow putting money back to work. I took advantage of this week's fast bear raid on the big boards was a good chance to do some quick buying. I think we are generally in a growth cycle, however, I am very wary of discretionary spending businesses right now. It looks like the consumer is getting beat down a little, but business are using strong balance sheets and relatively low interest to start buying and there is a lot of growth overseas. I think oil will peak out in a few weeks and then sell off, unless WWIII breaks out in the Persian Gulf.

Sectors Snap: I like Oil and Gas Services, Technology (Devices, Software and Storage), Some Staples, Industrials, Investment Banking. I like defense and energy as well, but think a little caution should be shown, as they could turn pretty fast. I don't like healthcare, discretionary spending (resturants, retailers, etc), autos, or airlines.

How I have fared: First off, GSK was my big loser, getting popped with the Advnadia scare. I have lost some here and am using current strength of the broad market to get out gracefully. Big winners: UL (who woulda thunk), VZ, SLB, and CBAK. I am looking to move out of GD because of limited up side and move into CRDN. I am still trying to figure out how much I want to keep my GE stock. It's good as healthcare diagnostics, aircraft engines, and oil/gas infrastructure are big plays with a very global GE, but CAT and some other players are looking nice too and I can't lose diversification. I have recently picked up some NTAP to help ride the tech rally a bit and am also trying to start building a position with ADM, which should be very profitable with lower corn prices and higer gas prices. I am still building a position in Goldman Sachs. I am a little embarrased by my current MSFT position, and I have played around with HPT (a Hotel REIT), but have decided I don't want to do the effort to keep my analysis up on that stock so I will be selling it off. I might start a position in CVS or RAD to take over GSK funds. I am selling my oil (USO) off slowl as it rallies, having not made my mind up what to do with that cash as yet.

Overall Strategy: "Foot half in the grave" I want some strong growth by getting behind some serious momentum picks (SLB, ADM, VLO, CRDN, NTAP, GS), while keeping some of my defensive plays on the table because I still think things can turn (UL, CVS or RAD, VZ, GE). I'll keep you posted.

No comments: